Tuesday, December 26, 2017

After Christmas shopping

I always try to go after Christmas shopping as soon after Christmas as possible. The forecast today was not inviting. It was 2 with a wind chill of -13, as I'm writing this at 3:54 pm it is now 5 with a windchill of -10. The whole week is forecast to be cold. My goals were to pick up some things for my Advent calendar next year, chocolate because I didn't get much this year and get stuff for people's Christmas presents next year.
My mom offered me a ride to Target, so I took her up on that. Most everything was 50% off, which is different for Target, usually the candy is 30% off and everything else was 50% off.
 a set of stars, ornaments, chocolate. The reindeer letter to Santa was for my brother.
The minion ball was not on sale, someone had put it in the wrong space, but it was only $3, so I bought it anyway, plus everything was free for me because I got Target gift cards for Christmas.
I also had a cartwheel savings on clearance clothing.
 Both of these shirts were marked at $2.40, I paid a total of $1.68 total for both of them.
Next up was Walmart:
 chocolate, gift tags, sticky notes. I can't help picking up sticky notes, plus my friend talked me into it. I passed on one of each of the chocolate in that mix and the Pocky to a friend for her birthday present.
Next, Dollar Tree:
 paper bags, stickers, gift bag, cactus ephemera, Mountain Dew, pretzels, necklaces. I picked up the paper bags for my Advent calendar, the gift bag for my friend's birthday. I had to get the necklaces for a swap I'm in.
After that a bit of a short walk to HyVee:
 These weren't really on sale, but they are higher priced chocolates, so I picked them up for $2 each.
My friend left me at this point, and I checked out JoAnns:
 These both rang up a regular price, the hedgehog $6.99 and the stickers $1.99. The lady ringing me out said the ornaments were on sale the other day, so she gave it to me for $2.99. I didn't actually see sale signs for the Christmas stuff, so I don't know if they were on sale, it would be stupid not to have it on sale.
Last stop was Hobby Lobby:
 rice krispie treats, stickers, tags, ornament, blind bag, and some birthday journaling cards.
All the Christmas stuff was 66% off, and still holding at that, that was a little disappointing. I limited myself to the rice krispie treats, the stickers, the tags and the gingerbread ornaments. I picked up the blind bag and the birthday journaling cards from the clearance section.
I put all the fun stuff: the ornaments from Target, the cactus ephemera, the blind bag and the ornaments from Hobby Lobby in the brown paper bags for my Advent calendar. I found everything to be really picked over this year. It seems that things are going on sale earlier and people are really taking advantage of it. There was a bunch of trees, boxed ornaments and gift wrapping supplies, but not a bunch of gifts and stocking stuffers. It was a little disappointing, though not that I need more stuff.
When I got home, I found my January 2018 calendar tag in the mailbox:
Tomorrow, I plan to go After Christmas shopping downtown, I have five stores I want to check out. I also have swaps I need to finish packing up to mail tomorrow, grocery shopping to do, a birthday present to deliver and a bus pass to pick up.

No comments: