Saturday, May 11, 2013

It's finally garage sale season

This might be kinda long. Garage sale season has finally hit my town. This weekend, there were quite a few in the paper. I only went to one yesterday, and today, I went to a citywide of a neighboring town. Unfortunately, I feel there were less this year than last year.
The one I went to yesterday, has a sale twice a year, and I make it a point to go every time. It starts at 7:30 on Fridays, unfortunately, this year I had to be at work at 8, so I had to wait to go until I got home. When I did, here's what I got:
 A very cute quilted wallhanging, a Dr. Seuss book, a Pfaltzgraff platter. I am loving quilted pieces lately, but they're generally pretty expensive, I understand why, but I can't afford them at that price, this wallhanging was the perfect price, plus it's all ready to be hung up. One of my co-workers just had twin boys and we didn't get to have the baby shower before they were born, so I've been on the lookout for books lately. Though I noticed when I looked at it more carefully at home that someone had written inside the front cover, I'm trying to figure out how to cover that up nicely. And I love the platter, I have Pfaltzgraff for my dinnerware (though it's getting old, so I'm looking for new dinnerware), and this platter was beautiful, I'd love to use it for Thanksgiving.
 A truck book , a bag of Easter stuff, and a bag of butterflies The truck book is for my co-worker, though a little old for her boys, I'm sure they'll like it once they reach the age of 3. The Easter pieces are miniature bunnies and eggs, way too cute to pass up. The bag of butterflies, I basically bought for the foamy looking ones, I figured I could use them in my art, I also love the lacy one.
Today, was the date of a city wide garage sale for a neighboring town. This is the third year I've gone, I went with my co worker last year, we had a blast and decided to do it again this year. Again, I think there were less, here's what I got:
 a few packs of burlap tags with paper, four hankies, a cute wall hanging/plaque, some plastic raspberries, and a cool tag. There's this cute little antique store in this town and it has some wicked cool stuff in it. I bought the hankie pack just for the blue iris one in the corner, it looks to be hand painted.
 Another place, an art studio, the owner was closing and had a bunch of her stuff sitting out for free, and who passes up free? The background piece is actually more pink than it looks here, I don't know why it turned out so coral-y. I have no idea what I'll do with these pieces, but they just jumped out at me.
 Stamps, bunny, eyelets, and bunny stickers. I have the hardest time passing up bug stamps, I don't know why, because I sure don't need more stamps. The bunny was from the art studio, again, I just loved it. The eyelets are the same size as I used in my fabric book, I figured if I made another one, they're a nice size. And I just liked the bunny stickers, but I sure don't need any more stickers. I have a ton of art supplies as it is, more than I even use, so I try not to buy more, but if I'm going to, I'm sure not paying new price for them.
 A Splat the Cat Christmas book, a 4th grade activity book, and a squishy fish book with accompanying fish. The fish and the cat book are for my co worker, the other one is for me, I find these fun to do.
I was so excited to find some vintage-y lacy pieces, that I kinda went crazy. Once again, I sure don't need these, but I have a hard time walking away. The bunny hot pad was originally for my mother, but I might keep it, I found something else she'll love today anyway.
A bib, bear, pig on a stick (my favorite purchase of the day), snowman , smaller snowman and rocks. I couldn't pass up the extremely cute embroidery on the bib, especially for a quarter, I figured if I ever made another fabric book, that was going in it. I couldn't resist the bear, plus free. I love the pig, I don't know why, I just think it's so cute. Once again, I don't need another snowman, but I loved this one and the round one was free. And I can't pass up rocks, though now I think I should have, they're not that cool.
A couple other things that didn't make it in pictures, I got a large metal frog for my mother to put in the garden and some zucchini bread for tomorrow.
Tomorrow the plan is to go to brunch, then our local gardens, and then to the Iowa Arboretum. My parents 40th Anniversary is tomorrow and they got married in the arboretum.

What exciting things did you all find this weekend?

No comments: