Tuesday, August 04, 2009

It has been a long week. Every day I got up and worked on garage sale stuff. And apparently standing for 6 + hours on concrete in flip flops doesn't make your feet happy. They still hurt, especially since I spent all day walking around Adventureland on Sunday.
It turned out to be a good garage sale, we made well over $300. Originally, my dad had said if I organized a garage sale, I could have all the profits. Well, mom decided that since she helped out so much, she needed a cut. I don't think she helped out a ton, she seemed to be complaining more than helping out, oh well, I still got a nice chunk of change. I want to go and spend it on something huge and cool, but I'll probably just end up sitting on it in the bank. I deposited it yesterday. I needed to get it out of the house, so I didn't spend it. I was thinking of transferring some of it to paypal so I could spend it at Etsy, but I don't think I'm going to spend it there either. I am going to transfer some though, I found some cute Monoply board coasters, that I think my brother might get a kick out of. His birthday's coming up in September and it would be nice to get the present out of the way, he's a hard guy to buy for anyway. I know what he likes, but he usually wants stuff that's kind of expensive.

Sunday, Kevin and I went to Adventureland. Every year the mine does this nice thing for their workers, just for fun. We met up with one of his co-workers and his wife and pretty much wandered around with them all day, it was pretty fun. Somehow Kevin managed to spend $20 or so that day, I haven't quite figured out how yet. I guess combining the food/drink he got and the games we played, it kinda eats it up. I did get some cute stuffed animals though. We were riding the train and someone walked by with a giant banana (it was probably 4 or 5 feet tall) and one lady said "what are you going to do with a giant banana", Kevin and I laughed and I whispered to him "what are you going to do with all the other stuff you get here?" Like anything's really gonna be done with anything you get that you're not gonna eat. We went to Kokomo Cove this year, but I remembered how mean the kids were last year, and I really just wanted to go swimming, not wandering through the water slides. I sat on the chairs and soaked up a little sun, Kevin went on a water slide, he said he had more fun last year, he kept saying because it was hotter last year but I know part of it was because I wasn't enjoying it with him. Kids are so mean when they don't have anyone to tell them no, when you have giant waterguns and buckets of water that you can just throw on people, they do whatever the hell they want to, I just didn't want to deal with it this year. It would be way better if there was a pool.
I also got up the courage to try a roller coaster this year, I went on the Outlaw, their wooden one. After we got on it, Kevin said he remembered it was the one with the most bumps and turns and stuff, guess I picked the wrong one huh? I didn't like, granted I didn't get sick, but all those quick turns, ups and downs, and bumps didn't help me any. But, at least I can say that I know I don't like roller coasters. When I was little, I went on a mini one at Arnold's Park, and I got sick on that one, so I'd been using that excuse ever since. But, Kevin was so bummed last year when we got up to the roller coaster and I chickened out at the last minute I thought I'd try one this year.

On the 18th of August, I start back at the University Bookstore, I'm looking forward to that. This year I'm working 3 weeks. I can't wait, we're generally pretty busy the week before classes start (the 17th through the 23rd), I don't think the week of classes will be too bad (24th through the 30th), I think it's busier than winter RUSH because any new students are most likely going to start at the new year rather than half year. I'm not quite sure what the last week will be like (31st through the 4th), In January, we started getting slow at the end of the 2nd week, I bounced around and helped in textbooks, because I wanted to keep busy. It's pretty boring if you can't keep busy, but you deal. I just keep thinking I have to save all my money for Hawaii. Add the money from the garage sale and then what I get at the bookstore, and money from events at Hilton until I have to leave, I should have a nice chunk of savings to take with me. Hopefully I won't spend it all, I'm hoping I'll be pretty smart with my money, though I love getting souveneirs at places, and I don't know if certain food will be extra on the boat or not. If I stick to my water routine, I should save money there, but I'm gonna be on vacation, it'll be some hard choices. Hopefully, I won't have some emergency that I'll need the money for between now and hawaii, but if I do, I'll have extra money. I feel so much better when I have a nice buffer in the bank in case something happens. I've always been a big believer in having things even if you don't need them at the moment.

This week, I have to make it to the post office today and get my hair cut, I have an event on Thurs at Hilton, and hopefully on Friday I get to get together with my friend, Loretta, and her puppies and have a picnic. I'm really looking forward to that, I haven't seen them since the middle of July.

My hair cut is one of my extra spendings. My hair is so full of split ends, the place my mom always took me costs $20 per haircut, but you get used to a certain person cutting your hair. Anyways, I was thinking last night as I was picking off my split ends, that I should wander over to Great Clips and get it trimmed, then I thought, now that I have a little extra money I can afford the more expensive place, so maybe I'll just go there. I'm not getting anything drastic, no new hair style, just a nice trim. As many split ends as I have, I'm thinking she's taking at least 3 inches off, so it'll be a little different. It always feels like a new start when I have quite a bit taken off at a haircut, course I usually wait a while for my haircuts, so it's always a new start. Someday I think I will get a new hairstyle, but I'd have to research and really think about it. Sometimes waiting the 2 hours to have my hair dry is a little annoying (I don't have or like hair dryers), and after being outside in the wind it tangles easily (course part of that could be the split ends). I did get a layered look one time, but it grew out and I didn't get it again, I also grew out my bangs awhile ago, that was the best decision in hair other than growing my hair long that I made. I just wish I knew more things to do with my hair that didn't take a lot of effort, I am basically a get up, brush it, and throw it in a pony tail kinda girl. If I take a shower in the middle of the day, I usually french braid it, just so it's not so messy the whole time it dries, and I get the cute little crinkles the next day. I also wish there was a way to enhance the subtle wave I have. I've found out if I take a shower at night and then sleep on it, it really shows, but I haven't found any other way to coax it out.
Now that I've rambled enough, maybe I'll get dressed and meander over to the post office.

1 comment:

Carrie M said...

One thing you can do is get a big curling iron (with a diameter as big as you can get) and curl it section by section. You get big beautiful waves, and once you get the hang of holding the curling iron it just takes a few minutes. Another option is hot rollers, but those take a bit more time and can be kind of tricky to set up.